Instead of treating vitiligo with chemically-laced ointments and creams, there are a number of ways to heal vitiligo holistically. While medications, such as corticosteroid and psuedocatalase, have proven to be effective from a vast number of users, these ointments can caused further skin irritation. Presently, there is no cure for this skin disease, only treatment. For those seeking a more natural remedy, there are many common items found it the kitchen and bathroom that can aid in healing vitiligo.
Healing Vitiligo Holistically with Natural Antioxidants
If vitiligo is caused by oxidant stress, then natural antioxidants such as oregano and green tea, as well as other antioxidant supplements found in leafy vegetables and fruits such as blueberries and papayas, can assist in slowing down the appearance of white spots.
Vitamin B12/Vitamin C/Folic Acid
Studies have shown that supplements containing vitamin B12, vitamin C, or folic acid have helped in repigmentation of the skin. For individuals suffering with vitiligo, medical professionals suggest taking at least 2,000 milligrams of vitamin C, 400 micrograms of folic acid, and 1,000 micrograms of vitamin B12 every day. It is also suggested that a vitamin-B complex having 100 milligrams of each of the vitamin B should be consumed daily as well.
Ginkgo biloba has been proven to not only slow down the progression of vitiligo, but to also help with recreating pigmentation.
Mustard Oil and Turmeric
A proven way to treat vitiligo naturally and to reduce the white spots on the skin, is to use a concoction of mustard oil and turmeric.
- Mix 250 ml organic mustard oil and 5 teaspoons of turmeric powder in a small bowl.
- Make sure that the two ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Apply the mixture to the white spots on the skin and leave it there for at least 15-20 minutes. After the allotted time, rinse the skin and pat it dry.
- This procedure should be done twice a day, for at least 15 to 20 days. During this time, the discoloration of the white spots should slowly be reducing.
Copper Vessel Drinking Water
A way for vitiligo patients to reduce the whiteness of the spots on their skin is to drink water that is stored in a copper vessel. When stored over time, the water will pick up the minerals from the container, which have been proven to produce melanin in the body. The only drawback to this holistic remedy is that it will take a long time to see results.
Psoralen seeds have been shown to help heal vitiligo holistically.
- Soak approximately 2 teaspoons of psoralen seeds and 25 grams of tamarind in a jar of water for 4 days.
- After drying the seeds off, make a course paste with the seeds and the water used to soak them.
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas for 20 minutes. Afterwards, rinse the skin and pat dry.
- This procedure should be done every day for a month. To see the best results in the reduction of white patches on the skin, try to apply the mixture once in the morning and again in the evening.
Another effective remedy in reproducing melanin in skin is radish seeds.
- Grind 50 grams of radish seeds into a powder and mix it with about 50 to 60 ml of vinegar until a paste is created.
- Apply to the affected areas and leave on for 15 minutes, and afterwards, rinse the skin and pat dry.
- This remedy should be done at least once or twice, every day, for 30 days to see the whiteness in the spots diminish over time.
Mama Cadela Roots
One of the natural plants used to help heal vitiligo holistically is mama cadela roots. To reduce the whiteness of vitiligo spots:
- Boil mama cadela roots for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Apply the extract to the vitiligo spots. Use once a day.
For patients searching for ways to heal vitiligo holistically, there are a number of natural plants, herbs, and minerals that can be used to treat their skin. This is especially good news for those that have found common vitiligo medications to be irritating to the skin and are looking for holistic ways to treat their skin disorder.
There are many more natural remedies for treating vitiligo in the popular 60+ page eBook by Michael Dawson. It mentions holistic methods backed by research. Find out more about it by clicking here.